Sunday 12 June 2011

Game of Life!!

              Cricket is my passion. Playing and watching cricket, as well as reading and writing on it gives me a high. Cricket is my life. But then is my life cricket? Being a huge cricket fanatic, I could not help but notice the similarities between my life’s journeys so far and the batting innings of a 50 over ODI match. Yes like most Indians, even here I prefer batting over bowling.
              The beginning 20 years of my life( most of which unfortunately were spent surrounded by books) seem very similar to the initial 10 overs of the mandatory powerplay. Just as initially a batsman can take his time to settle into the innings, I took my own time realising how good academics are essential for a better life ahead. You feel you are doing good, but then you look at the scoreboard(Happy Realization it screams). The poor runrate hurts you. You also know this being the powerplay you need to take charge of the proceedings. Risks need to be taken. You feel the pressure. Yup, even I felt I was doing good, but only till my  SSC results were out(Here my parents, Ruia and Ruparel College screamed, Happy Realization) . My results hurt me. But then I knew, if I concentrate hard for the next few years( atleast that's what I thought and said then) things would be back on track. Engineering gives you plenty of risk taking opputunities(or should I say, we made them risky), and I can vouch for that fact since I touched scores of 7 out of the 10 mathematically possible 40's.
             When the batting powerplay is done away with, the batsman feels its time to cut down on the risks, go steady. He starts accumalating runs for a good total in the end. At the same time, the bowling captain takes this oppurtunity to get through his overs quickly, ensuring that the run rate is under check. More often than not, both get what they desire and the game moves at a dull pace. My life seems to have entered a similar phase(it has to, otherwise this post would be incomplete). Post graduation, happy with my job, life seems good the way it is. The pressure of exams is no longer there, the need to take risks minimal. On the other hand, even life seems content in dishing out the same boredum week in, week out.
            But then, not all batsmen like the slow boring middle overs. With the option of the batting powerplay in hand, there is always that temptation to take it early. Risks are involved no doubt, but if things work out, it ensures a better end to the innings. Sometimes the bowling captain could enforce the bowling powerplay, thus forcing the batsmen to take risks, hoping to get wickets in return. I get the feeling that now even am not liking these slow middle overs of my life. The urge to take a risk is greater than ever before. The question that I need to answer is, should I take my Life's Batting Powerplay, or wait for life to enforce its Bowling Powerplay on my Life?

4 comments:

  1. sahi hai bhai.its a great thing that u have expressed ur life through ur life(cricket).yeh toh ek asli cricketer ki nishani hai.great 1 bro.keep up da good work:)

    ReplyDelete
  2. wat abt comparison of life wid last 10 yrs..where there is no scope of taking a risk,[read no powerplay except for wen batsman reserves his till the last] still the batsman has to slog hard..
    baki a refreshingly different cricket blog...maza aaya padte hue..

    ReplyDelete
  3. i agree with the 2 comments :) beautifully written!! n just go for it without waiting for life to do it for u! carpe diem :) :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. mast hai re!!! wat an analogy!!! beautifully made n written....although i didnt understand the bowling powerplay part fully...:P but i got ur point...u cn tke over ur life n tke a risk depending on what risk u want to take!! rather i wud suggest take on sum other activities 2 spice up ur life and let ur career tke its own shape...:)

    ReplyDelete